Sunday, April 15, 2012


Galway's young hurlers
Galway and Dublin played out a pulsating 0-26 to 2-20 draw in their Allianz Hurling League relegation play-off in O'Connor Park

Both defences were in control in the first half and Paul Ryan’s frees left Dublin 0-9 to 0-7 in front at the break. A Conor McCormack goal after the restart put daylight between the sides but Galway leveled before again conceding to Ross O’Carroll.

Joe Canning sent it to extra-time but despite Ryan O’Dwyer and Alan McCrabbe seeing red, Galway were unable to close out it out and a late Niall McMorrow ’65 forced a replay next Saturday.

It had taken four minutes for Galway to open the scoring through a Damien Hayes point but Danny Sutcliffe responded for Dublin and Galway never led for the remainder of the first half, with Joe Canning struggling to get into the game at full forward.

Corner-forward Davy Glennon had two excellent goal chances but on each occasion Gary Maguire in the Dublin goal was equal to the threat and he produced two top-class saves to keep his side in front.

Anthony Cunningham moved Canning from full forward into the half-forward line and after being held scoreless for the first 35 minutes, he exploded into the game in the second period, taking ten scores in all.

He needed to produce that return because an early Conor McCormack goal left five points between the sides and put Dublin in a very strong position. Galway showed great character to dominate the third quarter with Canning prominent, and seven out of eight points left them a point in front at 0-15 to 1-11.

However, hesitancy in the Galway defence cost them in the 55th minute and Dublin corner-forward Ross O’Carroll, who had had a very quiet game up to that point, produced a great finish to put his side back in front.

The sides exchanged points from there until the closing stages, Dublin maintaining a slender lead. Damien Hayes produced a fine score with five minutes to go to reduce the deficit, but Niall McMorrow responded for Anthony Daly’s men and again when Galway produced another score from Canning, Johnny McCaffrey popped up with a point on 68 minutes that looked like it would seal the deal for the Dubs.

However, Galway kept pushing and Canning showed great patience to take points from two 25m frees while most of the crowd was baying for an attempt on goal.

His decisions were justified when Galway won the last puckout of the game, drove the ball down to the left corner and Canning himself was able to field and drive the ball over the bar from a tight angle.

Galway maintained their momentum in the early stages of extra-time and two frees from Canning, allied to a red card for Ryan O’Dwyer for an off-the-ball incident, left the Tribesmen in a very happy position.

Dublin were given a lifeline when Barry Kelly awarded a penalty for a foul on O’Carroll by Ger O’Halloran, but Alan McCrabbe’s penalty was deflected wide and the Craobh Chiaráin hurler had to settle for a point from the resultant ’65.

McCrabbe was again the centre of attention moments later when he too was sent to the line by Kelly after a very late pull in the Dublin full forward line.

Cyril Donnellan pointed in the 10th minute of extra time to leave the scores at 0-24 to 2-16 at the mini break, but the All-Ireland football final of 1983 was brought to mind by many in the crowd as Galway failed to push on against Dublin despite a two-man advantage.

Dublin did well to keep the ball away from the free men operating in the Galway back line and after the first four points of extra time were shared, a late point from Daire Plunkett and a Niall McMorrow ’65 were enough to keep both sides in Division 1A of the National Hurling League, for another week at least.

Galway: Fergal Flannery; Kevin Hynes, David Collins, Ger O’Halloran; Niall Donoghue, Fergal Moore, Tony Óg Regan; David Burke (0-1), Barry Daly; Conor Cooney (0-1), Niall Burke (0-5, 0-4 frees), Cyril Donnellan (0-2); Damien Hayes (0-2), Joe Canning (0-12, 0-6 frees), Davy Glennon.

Subs: Iarla Tannion for Canning (blood), Bernard Burke for Cooney (blood), Johnny Coen (0-1) for Donoghue, Iarla Tannion for Daly, James Regan (0-1) for Glennon, Pádraig Brehony for Cooney, Bernard Burke for Niall Burke.

Extra-time Subs: Padraig Sheil for Kevin Hynes, Jonathan Glynn (0-1) for Bernard Burke, Niall Burke for David Burke.

Dublin: Gary Maguire; Niall Corcoran, Peter Kelly, Ruairí Trainor; Paul Schutte, Joey Boland, Shane Durking; Johnny McCaffrey (0-1), Michael Carton; Conor McCormack (1-0), Ryan O’Dwyer, Liam Rushe; Ross O’Carroll (1-0), Danny Sutcliffe (0-3), Paul Ryan (0-9, 0-8 frees 0-1 ‘65)

Subs: Simon Lambert (0-1) for Trainor, David Treacy (0-1) for O’Dwyer, Oisín Gough for Schutte, Niall McMorrow (0-3, 0-1 free 0-1 ‘65) for McCormack, Alan McCrabbe (0-1, ’65) for Carton

Changes before Extra time: Ryan O’Dwyer for Boland, Martin Quilty for McCaffrey.

Extra-time Subs: Daire Plunkett (0-1) for Ryan, Peadar Carton for O’Carroll, Eamon Dillon for Treacy,

(c) RTE Sport. 

No comments :

Post a Comment